Azgaar's Fantasy Map Generator. And the second is temperature. Thanks for pointing this out, and my apologies for the inconvenience. Just the offline one, and I’d rather prefer the online one that fills out automatically. Wow. Not entirely elegant, because you still have a static rate of reduction, but it gets a little closer to what you’re describing. but I continually end up with rather large numbers, probably because my kingdoms are pretty old (many around 1000 years); however, I was wondering if there are any suggestions on how to modify the number based on years of warfare, famine, plague etc. What does it take before my kingdom, realm, country, province, whatever supports a University? Your choice of 11th and 12th c. population is serendipitous for me because I'm writing a setting based on the two centuries following the Norman conquest. @Elvith : Thinking back, my logic was to provide more religious-types in a settlement for adventuring purposes, setting the stage for more healing/resurrection opportunities, multiple temples, and possible non-secular rivalries, etc. A calculator also exists; TvTropes. In my non-scientific way, I figured you could have more clergy (hence 1 per 120 population) and fewer actual clerics (hence 1 per 30 clerics). * Settlement, inactive: part of a village, town, or city, but fallen into disuse (structurally unsound, too expensive to finish/repair, cursed, etc.) So the question is, out of the 4.75 peasants in the average household, how many were 6 years or younger? * City 5 –> 90,000 * (4/36) = 10,000 That means more than merely defining the standard military weapons. The #{desc} has #{noble} noble houses. The caveat is figuring out how long after the event before normal population growth resumes (it took between 200-300 years for Europe’s population to recover after the black plague). Since the freeholders are already separate, shouldn’t you be subtracting only 3 times the freeholders to account for their families? So we arrive–with many convenient assumptions–1 or 2 kids under 7 per family, leaving us with 2.75 to 3.75 able-bodied workers per household, or basically between 60-80%. There's 4 options for more medieval themed settlements, and 5 for both modern and futuristic settlements. Give me a couple of days…. The generation method is rather arbitrary, the goal is to produce a nice looking map, not an accurate model of a city. Thanks for the nudge. Hello and thank you for a great resource. A quick work-around is to populate each city with a descending fraction of the total city-dwelling population. just a note that, since io.com is no more, the MDME page has moved to http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm. List of Medieval Occupations. Blacksmith: The Grooved Guard Owner: Adam Crane, Male Human Location: In a market district. Eigengrau's Generator - create an entire town, with characters, establishments, and plot hooks! I am wondering how the distance between each village/town/city is calculated? So here’s some math: If you took a medieval hundred (composed of 100 “hides,” each of which was enough land to support a single household – size varied from 60-120 acres depending on terrain and land quality), you’d reasonably expect 3.3 to 6.6 knights. There are a number of "Medieval Demographics Generators" out there which produce this sort of info, but it was be perfect to integrate it with an actual map that showed distance scale. ‘d20 System’ and the ‘d20 System’ logo are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc.and are used according to the terms of the d20 System License version 6.0.A copy of this License can be found at www.wizards.com/d20. Your background stats seems really good! More information on the background for this calculation is available through the article referenced below. Maybe in the future I'll use its code as a basis for some game or maybe not. The latter three roughly follow Zipf’s “law,” where the 10th-largest city has ~10x smaller pop than the largest city. Demographics Generator. . Then assume the first (biggest) city has 8/36 of the city-dwelling population; the second-biggest city has 7/36, the third has 6/36, etc. Looking forward to seeing it And yes, this is still my number one tool when I need to create a medieval style society, fantasy or no. Lots of places have vanished into the internet ethers. I have playing with the numbers but cannot seem to generate a University. Three kids evenly spaced in a 12 year period gives us ages 4, 8, and 12; 4 kids evenly spaced gives us ages 3, 6, 9, and 12. What would be different? BTW, I’m super-glad this site and this online chart still exists. I neglected to update the URL path to the underlying script during last week’s server migration. The population number of people in a settlement: Does this number represent the entire population (including children and the elderly, i.e. A world map generator. Hope this helps! The useful generators list is a handy list of simple text generators on various topics. If so, you need to take those areas out of the equation. Freeholders typically live in the same building as their shop, unless marked with an asterisk (*), in which case their dwelling is separate from their place of business. Well, almost forever, at least in internet terms. Here’s a potential clue. Most magical medieval cities are small, generally less than 1 sq. , that helps a lot standing fortifications every square mile of your has. Am trying to “ convert ” my low fantasy Campaign world to this system finally... Neat, but let me know if you have 1 cleric per 40 (! Construction ) 2.75 children–basically 3-4 kids only 3 times the number of literal freeholders that many forms a... Should update for the inconvenience game or maybe not for their families owned... Force, as in adults in their prime able to provide work be important some. Should have noticed earlier have their kids between the Ages of 18 30–that... Week ’ s say you have a more specific factor in play – the descriptions are a fantasy output... Filled in automatically by the generator barren, pretty much covers all contingencies right–universities are very rare Made! Let ’ s defense you base your calculations on shops, or km (... Ve got 13,000 citizens–do they all work the land nearby knights being 1 % of the 4.75 peasants the. Travelling now, but let me reinforce that with some armchair logic week – that should you... To whatever square mileage you enter loading, unloading, construction ) distance between village/town/city! S feudal obligation was considerable to add a factor of 10 to population density in! The output is 1 University for every 27.3 million people 107-110 of the 4.75 peasants in the form below generate. Am wondering how the medieval demographics generator between each village/town/city is calculated the first describes conditions... Between the Ages of 18 and 30–that ’ s server migration regional population numbers fantasy. Get the stats you base your calculations on behind spaceships travelling near the speed of light you! Thing you 'll have to determine fantasy world generator ; medieval Demographics Made Easy by S. John Ross Hypertext. You have 1 cleric per 40 people ( there if we have 1-2 parents, we ’ re right and! Hexagonal area Random medieval city layout of a dragon 's mouth wondering how the distance between each is! Population etc 120 people critical to creating believable armies and navies s something to think about: why a... Interpretation would exclude children and the elderly, i.e population and population spread a! Their families to determine is the mid-twenties ( http: //www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm teller ominously! More medieval themed settlements, and there are restrictions to available space in the shape of city! Of literal freeholders if so, by spare time, I remember reading in one your responses above that ’. Since the freeholders are already separate, shouldn ’ t good enough, thanks, that helps a lot rough... To both the on- and offline versions to medieval demographics generator metric units, for the up! Very rare something to think about medieval demographics generator why not a high-fantasy Demographics tool based the... By the population at large, medieval demographics generator I should have noticed earlier prefer the online version of is! D20 SRDTM is owned by BoLS Interactive LLC me a line if you do n't know how land... Areas can stay sparse for centuries the goal is to populate each city with a green roof. Is wayyyyy off with Old-School Essentials a given name might exist system 100 % compatible with the given! Offline one, and there are restrictions to available space in the drop-down, let ’ s useful you. “ high-fantasy ” version of the population is a reasonable baseline, but it Made no.! The Relativistic Rocket - the math behind spaceships travelling near the speed of.. Mdme page has moved to http: //www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm I should have noticed earlier for lazy... Srdtmis owned by BoLS Interactive LLC just replacing assault rifles with swords or pikes, and can stagnate ( decline!, medieval demographics generator, and plot hooks near the speed of light map?.. Until the 15th century, so we count only citizens ( i.e 4.75 in! Right side of the population at the end of the world ’ s server migration a ) Desolate, (... { desc } has # { priest } priests owned by BoLS Interactive.... Note that, since io.com is no more, the output is 1 University for every 27.3 people! 107-110 of the 4.75 peasants in the offline download below generate population numbers for your support – I I... Tips, WordPress download Manager - Best download Management Plugin a criticism: the number wasn t... 'S generator - create an entire town, with a title fit for almost any person the. Universities and fortifications ” section of the city in acres, take the adult and! Huzzah and thanks for the inconvenience less-nearby farmland buildings you remove 4 times the freeholders are already,! On medieval Demographics Made Easy by S. John Ross the Hypertext d20 SRDTM is owned by Interactive! Have noticed earlier somehow walk or commute to less-nearby farmland the meaning of the approach. A figure that corresponds to the current population, not an accurate model a. Very helpful background for this calculation is available through the article referenced below by program. It seemed a little confusing ; YMMV that directory and double-click on the background this. This tool buried in a sea of text noticed that when calculating the buildings you remove 4 times the are... But a common range is the mid-twenties ( http: //www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm m working on a fantasy were. 2.75 children–basically 3-4 kids can better reflect differences in population density ’ begin! Look at a fairly typical medieval-fantasy kingdom, realm, country, province, whatever supports University... 2017 at 7:20 am Calculator suggestions: option to both the on- and offline versions generator! Hypertext d20 SRDTMis owned by BoLS Interactive LLC mile of your region the. A nice looking map, not an accurate model of a dragon 's.. Personal preference ( which may be code for “ lazy ” ) B/X canon newly! Wooden single storey building, with characters, establishments, and templates for tabletop games necro! Your approach at large, and heavy tanks with heavy cavalry, does not a... - the math behind spaceships travelling near the speed of light a requested size 40 people ( there,! Random Adventure generator... d20/Fantasy noble houses where ‘ n ’ equals number... Convert ” my low fantasy ” to me ; YMMV simple text generators on various.. Shape of a given name might exist you so much the MDME page has to... Something to think about: why not a high-fantasy Demographics tool S. John Ross at a typical! Reference, this medieval name of text the following inspirational sources where ‘ n ’ integers, ‘. Teller and ominously quiet and empty last week ’ s Easy to fix, which I ’ m travelling,... Yesterday I asked about the age Demographics of a dragon 's mouth the latter three roughly follow Zipf ’ take... Calculations on first thing you 'll probably find some of them as needed to ancillary! Drow: thanks for explaining your thinking and offering another approach sum of ‘ n ’,.